Tuesday, February 28th, 2012
Grab a partner and get ready for fun with a combination bike and obstacle course race right here in Richmond. The New Belgium Brewing Urban Assault Ride is the biggest bicycle obstacle event series in the nation, and this year it’s coming to Richmond on March 25.
Starting at 9 a.m. at Kanawaha Plaza Park, you and a partner will set out on a city-wide quest for checkpoints. At each stop, you’ll drop your bike and complete an obstacle course, then hop back on your bike and ride on for more.
Once you cross the finish line, it’s time to party! There’ll be New Belgium beers, bikes, raffles and plenty of fun. Participation costs $30-$60 depending on when you register, so grab a partner, book your room, and sign up today.
Tuesday, February 7th, 2012
With at least a little bit of winter weather finally hitting Richmond, an opportunity to heat up and channel some steamy Latin cultures comes at just the right time. The Latin Ballet of Virginia’s Masquerade Rumba takes place Saturday, February 18, from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m. at Gallery 5.
There’ll be a complimentary Latin dance lesson from the experts at the Latin Ballet of Virginia, along with a silent auction, Hispanic buffet dinner and cash bar. Get ready to show off your rumba, cha cha, merengue, or even just your best zumba moves. It’s sure to be a fun time. Tickets cost $45 each or $80 per couple, and funds raised will go toward the Latin Ballet’s educational programs. Get your tickets here.
Friday, February 3rd, 2012
When you think about pairing beer with food, the classics come to mind. Pizza and a light lager… maybe a medium-rare burger and a nice ale, but here in Richmond, we pair Vietnamese cuisine with our beer. At Mekong, you can chow down on a wide variety of Vietnamese cuisine, but you can also select from a large menu of Belgian beers and other specialty brews on tap. When you go into the restaurant, just head to the bar in the back and look for the ever-changing list of beers to choose from.
Next Thursday, 2/9, the restaurant is holding a special Dogfish Head event. Josh Fruchtman from the brewery will be there, and the bar will be tapping eight special Dogfish Head brews you’ll have trouble finding elsewhere. Options include:
- Bitches Brew, a bold, dark beer
- Ta Henket, an earthy, ancient-inspired ale
- Theobroma, a special beer infused with cocoa powder, cocoa nibs, honey, chilies and annato
- Red & White, a Belgian-style witbier brewed with coriander and orange peel, then fermented with pinot noir juice
- Palo Santo, an unfiltered brown ale
- World Wide Stout, a roasty, complex beer brewed with lots of barley
- Sahtea, a modern take on 9th century Finnish beer that’s fermented with German weizen yeast and flavored with juniper berries from Finland, black tea, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and black pepper
- My Antonia, a continually hopped pilsner
Stop by to try something new!